Monday, January 30, 2012

Cabin Fever!

By Amanda

Yesterday was my 31st birthday and my 10th day in bed recovering from a severe allergic reaction. Alex and I had grand plans to ring in my birthday at a romantic bed & breakfast out in the country, but had to cancel them when it became clear that I was in no shape to travel. Though it was disappointing, Alex managed to make my birthday special and even surprised me with a lovely necklace (after convincing me that my only presents were dry non-fiction books). Here's a look back at the day:

{It began with breakfast in bed}

{Followed by present opening, supervised by Harry, of course}

{We had my favorite meal, eggplant parm, for dinner}

{And Alex made my grandmother's wacky cake for dessert. I'm a lucky girl!}


It was a really nice birthday, but after 10 days in bed, I'm starting to get restless. Yesterday, Alex and I were thinking back on our hibernation (he stayed home from work to take care of me) and were realizing that we've racked up some impressive stats.

Amanda and Alex's 10-day sick-cation, by the numbers:
  • 4 doctors' appointments
  • 3 different doctors
  • 8 different medications (not all at the same time)
  • 3 bottles of ginger ale to relieve the nausea (for Amanda)
  • 1 bottle of gin to relieve the sound of Amanda's whining (for Alex)
  • Countless quesadillas (the only thing I'll eat when I'm nauseous)
  • Countless frozen pizzas (the only thing Alex had time to make for himself)
  • 3 completed TV series: The Tudors, Felicity, United States of Tara
  • 2 ongoing TV series: Downton Abbey, Breaking Bad, Top Chef
It was quite a week. I'm starting to feel better, but don't expect I'll be hitting the town anytime soon. Baby steps...

1 comment:

  1. I missed your bday AND you were sick! I'm so sorry! An allergic reaction to what? Sounds horrific. We stayed in the city Saturday night and didn't get home till late Sunday night, so I totally spaced your birthday. Happy belated! Hope you're feeling better! xx Jess

    ReplyDelete